Kellen C. Kiley
Kellen concentrates in the areas of estate planning and real estate, as well as trust and estate administration.
More specifically, Kellen recommends custom estate plans to ensure that each of his clients, from high net worth individuals to those seeking Medicaid and everyone in between, are protected in the event of death, incapacity, or residence in a long-term care facility. This typically involves the use of living trusts, wills, durable financial and healthcare powers of attorney, and the transfer and retitling of real estate and other assets to avoid probate. For high net worth clients, this may involve more specialized trusts and other techniques for estate tax avoidance and asset protection.
Kellen particularly enjoys creating succession plans for family cottages that allow them to stay within the family for generations while avoiding property tax uncappings, management disputes, and losses to creditors. On the opposite end, Kellen works with those who have suffered a loss to administer the decedent’s estate, transfer title to assets through probate proceedings or otherwise, file estate tax returns, and resolve any other loose ends.
Before joining Scholten Fant, Kellen worked at a large international law firm headquartered in Detroit, where he represented lenders in complex litigation and commercial foreclosures. Out of law school, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable Lawrence P. Zatkoff, former Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, and later worked on appellate cases for the Michigan Court of Appeals. Kellen grew up in Muskegon and appreciates the opportunity to serve the lakeshore community.
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2009
- Michigan State University, Eli Broad College of Business, B.A., with honor, 2006
- People’s Choice Awards, Best Estate Planner, Grand Haven Tribune 2020, 2021 & 2022
- Certificate, Michigan Probate and Estate Planning Certificate Program
- Leadership Connect, Chamber of Commerce Grand Haven, Spring Lake, Ferrysburg 2016
- State Bar of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Ottawa County Bar Association
- Lake Michigan Estate Planning Council