Kellen C. Kiley
Kellen is a shareholder in the firm and concentrates in the areas of estate planning and real estate, as well as trust and estate administration.
More specifically, Kellen recommends custom estate plans to ensure that each client, from high net worth individuals to those seeking Medicaid and everyone in between, is protected in the event of death, incapacity, or residence in a long-term care facility. This typically involves the use of living trusts, wills, durable financial and healthcare powers of attorney, and the transfer and retitling of real estate and other assets to avoid probate. For high net worth clients, this may involve more specialized trusts and other techniques for estate tax avoidance and asset protection.
Kellen particularly enjoys creating succession plans for family cottages that allow them to stay within the family for generations while avoiding management disputes, undue taxes, and losses to creditors. On the opposite end, Kellen works with those who have recently suffered a loss to administer their loved one’s estate, transfer title to assets through probate proceedings or otherwise, and resolve any other loose ends.
Before joining Scholten Fant, Kellen worked at a large international law firm headquartered in Detroit, where he represented banks and real estate investment trusts in litigation and commercial foreclosures. Out of law school, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable Lawrence P. Zatkoff, former Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, and later worked on appellate cases for the Michigan Court of Appeals. As a Muskegon native, Kellen is proud to return home and assist fellow members of the lakeshore community.
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2009
- Michigan State University, Eli Broad College of Business, B.A., with honor, 2006
- People’s Choice Award, Best Estate Planner, Grand Haven Tribune 2020
- Certificate of Completion, Michigan Probate and Estate Planning Certificate Program
- Leadership Connect, Chamber of Commerce Grand Haven, Spring Lake, Ferrysburg
- State Bar of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Ottawa County Bar Association
- Lake Michigan Estate Planning Council